Monday, June 22, 2009

My Letter to Daddy, I read this at his Funeral...



I spoke at my daddy's funeral April 22, 2009. I usually don't speak at such events especially my sweet daddy's! Shortly after his passing we rushed to Wheeler Mortuary to start his Obituary, and it was THEN when daddy was nagging at me to speak at his funeral! What?!? "No Daddy, I'm a mess!" Needless to say, that nagging didn't stop until my talk was over! Ironic huh? I know I said a few words before I read my daddy's letter. Tim had given me the idea to write him instead of thinking of some other spiritual things, that I'm not even aware of:) I put the original in the casket with daddy but I did keep a copy...here it is:

Dear Daddy.

Who would've thought I'd be writing you this letter, not just an ordinary letter, but a letter of Thanks, Gratitude and Love.
Daddy I miss you, and I am & will be okay. We have made some sacred promises and I promise daddy not to let you down.
I want to thank you daddy for bringing me into this earth. It was a fun journey having picked you to be my eternal friend & father. I want to thank you for being strong, but for also melting like sweet chocolate when I needed you.
I remember the times, especially being young when I would fall and you would quickly run to pick me up & make it all better...
Well daddy its kinda like our time right now.
You fell & now you will make it better, you sacrificed your mortal being to make us all better & for that daddy, I will be forever grateful.
Last week when we were sealed as an eternal family, you proved to us, but most importantly the lord, your faithfulness to the gospel & the blessings received from staying true, clean and pure.
You earned your "Golden Ticket" as you would say, the the Celestrial Kingdom in which I promise to see you there.
Just like you told me a few short weeks ago....
"its temporary baby girl, its just temporary".
I really enjoyed our last conversation, while in your final hours...
Although you were not responsive, I still saw your little grin, just like the one you have today.
Daddy, I know your proud of me & that's why I'm on this pulpit today.
You know I am strong, just like my mommy, Although you are "SHOCKED" because you know this isn't really my thing.
I love you daddy. Thank you for putting up a good fight.
I miss you, miss you more than ever. My heart hurts but is slowly healing,
as I know you will forever be alive in my heart.
I know you are not too far away. I want to read the Lyrics of a child's prayer.
I sang this to you daddy, remember when you were scared? Because I know it always makes me feel better when I am scared.


Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev’ry child’s prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
“Suffer the children to come to me.”
Father, in prayer I’m coming now to thee.

Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is list’ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav’n.

I am thankful for the gospel, as I know it to be true. I love the comfort of being part of an eternal family. I believe and know that there is an eternity. I feel our Saviors love, and I am forever grateful for his atoning sacrifice.

Daddy, you are my SuperMan, my strength, my best friend.
I will forever cherish our memories and of course you said it best
"After this, my baby, we will never be separated again"
I love you daddy and I will forever be your "baby girl".
Enjoy the Celestial Kingdom and enjoy your new perfect soul.

I say this in the name of our beloved son and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: